Monday 3 September 2012

Magazine Analysis- FilmFare (Bollywood)


I specifically found this magazine cover which is a Bollywood film magazine which had a couple on the front. As I am doing a romance, drama trailer, I wanted the analyse a magazine cover which has a couple as the main image on the front and see whether it is effective as other magazine covers are.
The colours on the magazine covers are bright and not dull at all. With the actors costumes are mostly blue and white, this allows the readers to know that they are a couple who are in a romance film for sure. I personally feel that the light colours on the actors are a positive way forward as this will be representing my genre well. With the colour scheme red, white and black, this follows the norm of a magazine colour. As a cover should have a colour scheme which follows the main image genre for example, as this image has a couple the colours red, white and black follow as this are the stereotypical colours of love. In my magazine cover I will also be using a colour scheme.
The font on a magazine cover is vital as this allows the reader the magazines name and main stories. As this cover hasn’t got fancy font, this indicated that I shouldn’t be using fancy font. However it should have my own touch to the font as it will be representing the genre. With the main story’s font different to any other font on the cover, this indicated to the readers that this is the main story which this magazine is covering. I like the fact that there’s distinct font between the main story and the name of the magazine and I will be using that idea in my magazine cover.
The main image on this magazine cover is very effective as this is the first thing which attracts the readers to purchase the issue. With an couple on the front of the cover automatically changes the norm of a magazine cover. Normally its is an individual shot of an actor however this cover has a couple as its main image. With a full shot the image the audience know what the main story is about. Also the eye contact from the main image is key. Also the smaller image has eye which allows the reader to feel important.
Language is very important on a magazine cover as this lets the readers know what the stories will be in this issue. With short snappy words like, ‘Love’s in the air’ as a slogan to the main image, allow the readers to get to grip easily with the main story. Also words like ‘Watch Out For…’ are great on the cover as this attracts the readers to know more about the stories, for example if there’s a new actor or a new film.  I will be using short snappy words on my cover as I want readers to be attracted to my cover.
On this particular issue, it has followed some of the norms of a magazine cover, with the magazine heading at the top then have the sub heading under the main image. Also having the website and date of issue underneath the heading, adding to the cover are the cover lines which are featured on the front. With only three cover lines, it is acceptable as this won’t crowd the main image and story. I will limit the amount of cover lines I use as they could crowd my cover. The barcode is in a different place, this acceptable however I personally feel it should be on the right of the cover. The cover also has a sky line, which is often found on cover as this gives the readers more information on other stories in the magazine. In previous magazine cover I placed my sky line at the bottom, however I will use the sky line this time on my completed cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment